Custom Search

Saturday, May 19, 2018

Visit the Statue of Catarina Eufémia - Baleizão

The Catherine Euphemia Statue stands on a stone pedestal about 2m high. It was built in 1976 in honor of the people of Baleizão.
Catarina Eufémia was a Portuguese harvester, a militant of the PCP who, following a strike of rural wage-workers, was shot to death by Lieutenant Carrajola of the Republican National Guard.
At the age of twenty-six, illiterate, Catherine had three children, one of whom was eight months old, who offered resistance to the Salazar regime, being an icon of resistance in the Alentejo. Sophia de Mello Breyner, Carlos Aboim Inglez, Eduardo Valente da Fonseca, Francisco Miguel Duarte, José Carlos Ary dos Santos, Maria Luísa Vilão Palma and António Vicente Campinas dedicated poems to him.

Visit the Monte de Grous Albufeira - Albernoa


Visit the Guadiana River - Beja

The Guadiana river is a river of the Iberian Peninsula that is born in Spain, crosses several counties of the South Region of Portugal. It has a total course of 829 km, is the fourth longest in the Iberian Peninsula. The catchment area covers an area of 66,800 km².
The Guadiana borders Portugal and Spain, from the river Chança to the mouth.
The Guadiana river makes the border of the Municipality of Beja along two of its Parishes, more concretely, the Parish of Baleizão and the one of Quintos.

Friday, May 18, 2018

Visiting Beja

Beja is a Portuguese city belonging to the Alentejo region and sub-region of the Baixo Alentejo, capital of the Beja District. It is home to one of the most extensive municipalities in Portugal, with 1 106.44 km² and 35 854 inhabitants, subdivided into 18 parishes. The municipality is limited to the north by the municipalities of Cuba and Vidigueira, to the east by Serpa, to the south by Mértola and Castro Verde and to the west by Aljustrel and Ferreira do Alentejo.


Small Historical Review
It is believed that the city was founded about 400 years BC, by the Celts, specifically by the Celtic people, a Celtic people who inhabited much of the territories of Portugal south of the Tagus River. The Carthaginians settled there for some time in the 3rd century BC, shortly before their defeat and expulsion of the Iberian Peninsula by the Romans following the Second Punic War. In the 3rd and 2nd centuries BC there was the process of Romanization of the local populations and this city became part of the Roman civilization, belonging to a very Romanized region. The first references to this city appear in century II A.C, in reports of Polybius and Ptolemy.
With the Roman conquest, this city becomes part of the Roman Empire, to which it belonged for more than 600 years.
For 300 years, it became part of the Christian Visigothic Hispania, after the fall of the Roman Empire, making it the seat of bishopric. In the fifth century, after a brief period in which the headquarters of the Alans, the Suevi seized the city, succeeding them the Visigoths. At that time in the city, of which there remain important sculptural-architectural elements very original in their own style, of basilicas and churches destroyed in the Islamic period, was built a medium-sized hospital, similar to Mérida, one of the first ones in the world at the time.
From the year 714 (eighth century) to the year 1162 (mid-twelfth century), for more than 400 years, its importance diminished, and was under the Arabs.
In 1162 the Christians definitively reconquered the city. It received the charter in 1524 and was elevated to the city in 1517.
The city remained small the following centuries, being very destroyed during the French Invasions between 1807 and 1811. From century XX it noticed a certain economic development, like the construction of schools, the new Hospital, as well as new judicial and commercial facilities , although much of its old heritage has been destroyed by new buildings, notably in the historic center. In 2011, Beja Airport was inaugurated. However, the severe economic crisis caused it to remain in poor functioning and in a near-closing situation.

Places to visit
In the Municipality:
Guadiana River

In the Parish of Albernoa:
Monte de Grous Albufeira

In the Parish of Baleizão:
Statue of Catarina Eufémia
Monument of Homage to Catarina Eufémia
Bridge of Serpa

In the Parish of Beringel:
Albufeira de Beringel
Football field
Beringel Chapel

In the parish of Cabeça Gorda:
Parish Church
Windmill Garden

In the Parish of Mombeja:
Roman Ruins of Pisões

In the Parish of Nossa Senhora das Neves:
Viewpoint of Vila Azedo

In the Parish of Quinos:
River Beach of the Azenhas de Quinos

In the Parish of Salvada:
Church of Salvada

In the Parish of Salvador (Beja):
Manueline Arcades of the Republic Square
Court Square Fountain
Convent of Our Lady of the Conception
Convent of San Francisco
Statue of D. José Patrocinio Dias
Church of Our Lady of the Cross
Church of Santa Maria
Carmo Church
Church of Our Lady of Pleasures
Church of Salvador
Monument to the Unknown Political Prisoner
Jorge Vieira Museum
Queen's Museum
Portas de Moura
Doors of Évora
Pax Julia Theater

In the Parish of Santa Maria da Feira (Beja):
Chapel of Our Lady of the Snows
Castle of Beja
Cano's Fountain
Convent of Santo António
Hermitage of São Sebastião
Hermitage of Saint Stephen
Church of the Misericordia
Church of Our Lady of Mercy
Church of Santo Amaro
Pillory of Beja
Doors of Aviz
Bullring
Beja cathedral

In the Parish of Santa Vitória:
Purple Albufeira

In the Parish of Santiago Maior (Beja):
Hermitage of Santo André
Statue Steps Manuel
Memorial Al'muati
Botanical Museum
Beja Picnic Park
Urban Park of the Bairro BejaII

In the Parish of São Brissos:
Beja airport
11 Beja Air Base

In the Parish of São João Baptista (Beja):
Beja Football Grounds
Fountain and well of Aljustrel
Statue of the Bandeirante
Campsite
Beja Gymnastic Pavilion
Beja Municipal Pools

In the Parish of Senhora do Louredo:
Chapel of Senhora da Luz
Source

In the Parish of Trindade:
Chapel

Where sleep:
Pousada de S. Francisco
Beja Park Hotel
Hotel Melius
Hotel Francis
Hotel Bejense
Vacation Specials
Hotel Rural Vila Galé Country Club
Herdade da Malhadinha Nova
Herdade dos Grous
Herdade do Vau
Mount of the Light Court
Monte da Diabrória
Agro Tourism Xistos
Purple Agro-tourism
Purple House
Terras Agroturismo & Vinhos
The White House
Guest House Pax Julia
Guest House Santa Maria
Sightseeing
Hostel Frei Manuel
House in Aldeia
Flat Flowers Flat
Monte das Beatas
Apartment Pax Julia
Campsite of Beja
Beja Youth Hostel

Where to eat:
The kite
Typical Wine Cellar April 25th
Luiz da Rocha
Grandma Joaquina
Pousada Convento de São Francisco
Pulo do Lobo
Water mirror
Chicken Guide
Gulla
The Referee
The Chali
The fireplace
The wall
Feather
The Fish Island
Henri Bar
Freemasonry Arts Center Manuel Cernáculo
The Alentejano
harvest
Sushi Alentejano
The Alcoforado
The corner
JCCC
The German
The Charoco
Pereira
Roman
The Horta
The forest
The Engenho
Spike Salt
Field Flavors
New China

Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Visit the River Ul - São João da Madeira

The Ul river is a tributary of the Antuã river. It is born in the municipality of Santa Maria da Feira, it crosses the County of São João da Madeira and the county of Oliveira de Azeméis, where it empties in the Antuã.

Visit the Quinta da Natividade - São João da Madeira


Visit the Roman Bridge of São João da Madeira


Visit the Municipal Pools of São João da Madeira

The Municipal Swimming Pools of São João da Madeira are an outdoor leisure space with a 50 meter pool, a jumping pool and a children's pool. There is also a children's playground, extensive wooded lawn and a bar.

Visit the Urban Park of the River Ul - São João da Madeira

The Urban Park of the River Ul, located in S. João da Madeira, was designed by the architect Sidónio Pardal, and has a total area equivalent to almost 30 football fields, the Urban Park of the Rio Ul is outlined by granite walls. From the inside you can see paths that invite walking or cycling.
Visitors to the Urban Park of the Rio Ul also have at their disposal the House of Nature where there is a bar and a reception room / environmental interpretation center, as well as a space of bathhouses.

Visit the Ferreira de Castro Park - São João da Madeira

The Ferreira de Castro Park, located in São João da Madeira, is a pleasant green space, suitable for leisure and recreational activities for all ages.
It has maintenance circuit, mini golf, playground, playground, gerontological park (playground for the elderly) and picnic area.
Also note the cozy bar "A Selva", thus baptized in reference to the work of Ferreira de Castro, writer who gives name to the park, where there is a monument in his honor.

Visit the Park of Our Lady of Miracles - São João da Madeira

The Nossa Senhora dos Milagres Park, located in São João da Madeira, is a large green space, which was inaugurated on November 6, 1938, which makes this park the oldest in this city.
This urban park also has a maintenance circuit, cycle paths for cyclists, a café, a children's playground and a snack area.
It is one of the most popular urban parks in the city, with several cascading gardens and a symbolic bridge.

Thursday, May 10, 2018

Visit the Palace of the King of Flour - São João da Madeira

The Palace of the King of Farinha, located in São João da Madeira is one of the beautiful examples of the so-called "Casas de Brasileiros".
It is a remarkable building, in which there is a risk of an architect. On the flank, the turret seems to dominate the whole, illusion created by the garden that covers the balcony that flows around the right side of the house. The staircase, scenographic, has agglutinating effect, given its importance in the articulation of the beautiful garden with the small palace.

Visit the Conde Dias Garcia Mansion - São João da Madeira

The Palacete Conde Dias Garcia, located in São João da Madeira, is a municipal patrimony.

Visiting Oliva Creative Factory - São João da Madeira

Oliva Creative Factory, located in São João da Madeira, is an essentially entrepreneurial project but it has important components in artistic training as well as cultural and leisure activities.
Installed inside Oliva, one of the largest and most innovative factories in Portuguese industrial history, Oliva Creative Factory's motto is to turn creativity and talent into business.
There is at Oliva Creative Factory a large wing dedicated to contemporary art, which has a permanent exhibition, temporary exhibitions, a dance school, spaces for artistic training and events.

Visit the Chapelaria Museum - São João da Madeira

The Chapelaria Museum, located in São João da Madeira, has the industrial estate resulting from the closure of several manufacturing units related to the headwear industry. The inauguration of the Chapelaria Museum happened on June 22, 2005.
Conceptually oriented to the theme of the Headwear Industry in its production, commercialization, social use and economic impact, the Chapelaria Museum assumes itself as a space for reflection, study and investigation of a reality that shaped the history of the Municipality, but also the history of Portuguese industrialization.
It is a socially active, culturally and pedagogically useful space that evokes multiple stories and memories, contributing to deepen and disseminate the knowledge of San Juan's identity and culture.
In this context, the Chapelaria Museum is the starting point for cultural itineraries that touch other points of interest in the history of the industry of the municipality and the region, and extend the scope of the visit to other themes, offering its visitors a more accurate view and interesting regional reality.