Custom Search

Saturday, March 20, 2010

Visit the Church of Our Lady of the Assunção in Sobrado

The parish church of Sobrado, also known as Our Lady of the Assunção, in sobrado, has a baroque and rococo architecture of longitudinal shape, with nave, chancel and vestry.
The bell tower has an independent structure of the body of the Church.

Visit the Angel of Portugal Castelo de Paiva

This statue, known as the Angel of Portugal, was built as a memorial to the victims of the collapse of bridge between-the-rivers.

Visit the parish church of St. Martinho of Sardoura

The parish church of St. Martinho of Sardoura now has a different architecture and modern style, framed within a pleasant, well landscaped and has recently been subject to upgrading works.

Friday, March 19, 2010

Visit the House of Covelo in Fornos

The House of Covelo, located in the Town of Fornos, is located on the slopes facing west, on the final section of the Paiva River at the close of the mouth. The Farm is at least since 1758.
The house is restored and is surrounded by 9 hectares of vineyards which are part of recommended varieties for the sub-region Paiva region demarcated wine green.

Visit the Chapel of Fontaínhas in Fornos

The Chapel of Fontaínhas and its surroundings in the Town of Fornos, worth a visit.

Visit the Cruise of Fornos

The Cruise of Fornos is dated 1674, and has three references to historical dates of the Chapel of St. Anthonio.

Visit the Chapel of St. Anthonio in Fornos

The Chapel of St. Anthonio in Fornos, was originally built in 1140 in the field of Mogal in 1640 was moved to the Largo parish in 1940 and was built where formerly was called Mount Óculo.

Visit Farm and House of Cardia in Fornos

The House of Cardia, is a building of the fifteenth century manor located on Farm with the same name in the Town of Fornos. It belongs to former owners of the island castle.

Visit Castle Beach in Fornos

Located in the Town of Fornos and washed by the waters of the River Douro, Castle Beach is one of the nicest river beaches in the region.

Monday, March 15, 2010

Visit the Castle Island - Fornos

The Castle Island is located at the mouth of the river Paiva, at the confluence with the Douro River, is known among the people as Island of Love. Once accessible by a sand island came to be after the construction of the dam / Lever Dam. But the attraction of man for this area comes from paradise Prehistory (Neolithic / Chalcolithic) as evidenced by the existence of some archaeological finds.
But especially in the times of the Roman Empire that installs the original port of paiva by its strategic geographic position on the crossing of the Douro.
In the twelfth century to build a defensive tower. In the fifteenth century a chapel dedicated to St. Pedro. Chapel whose ruins can be seen since 1998.
The diversity of flora is another feature of the island, many species of trees and shrubs to cover: Pinheiro, Carvalho, Oliveira, Cork, Loureiro, pato, Alder, Pygeum, Murta, and Lódão Trovisco.

Visit the Parish Church of St. Pelágio - Fornos

The Parish Church of St. Pelágio, the Town of Fornos, was erected early in the century XVIII to replace a small and dilapidated to be in the field of Molar (Ramalhal). In 1758, it gained a tower "with battlements wheel" at the top of which bore the arms of the patron D. Manuel de Ataíde Azevedo e Brito who was lord of Honor Barbosa (Penafiel). In 1788, the pastor starts the work to build the bell tower and in 1835, according to an inscription on the lintel of the main were completed extensive restoration. In 1998, he suffered great works of cleaning and maintenance exterior and interior and in 2009 was new painted frescoed ceilings of the church.
The architecture is eclectic. The plant is longitudinal, with a nave, a chapel and two vestries attached. It has a bell tower adjoining the frontage on the left. The main portal is surmounted by an orb-shaped window Coro. This is one of the largest churches in the region and comparable to the Church of Sobrado (seat of the Municipality). The bell tower is somewhat unusual and similar to the Neighborhood is the same time. It saves a few elements of monumental piece that certainly came from the previous church that was in the Field of Molar.

Visit the Chapel of Our Lord of the Afflicted - Bairros

The Chapel of Our Lord of the Afflicted, in the Town of Bairros.

Visit the Chapel of St. Lourenço - Bairros

The Chapel of St. Lourenço, in the Town of Bairros, and its surrounding area.

Visit the River beach of Varzea - Bairros

The River beach of Varzea, located in the Town of Bairros, in the river Paiva banks, has a surrounding area of rare beauty. A small beach in the middle of green vegetation, ideal for an afternoon of rest.

Visit the Solar Fisga - Bairros

The Solar Fisga, which belongs to the noble family Salema, was built in 1640. Baroque, private chapel and has many statues on the walls and gardens that surround the building, which has a portal, type Rococo, one of the most typical of the solar north of the country. The backyards and gardens surrounding with its impressive power were considered Property of Public Interest, the decree law 129 / 77 of the 29 September.

Visit Parish Church of Bairros

Parish Church of Bairros

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Visit the Cross of Ancia

The Cross of Ancia, located along a path in the Town of Real, is the agony suffered by Lady Mor Porto Carreiro, strangled by her husband Don Payo Suer de Paiva, for treason in absentia.

The Church of Santa Marinha - Real

The Church of Santa Marinha or Church of Real, presents a set of images integrated into the granite of the churchyard fence and staircase.

Visit the monument to the miners - São pedro do Paraíso

In one of the entrances to the mines of Pejão, you can see the monument to the miners.

Visit the Church of St. Pedro in São Pedro do Paraíso

The Church of St. Pedro in São Pedro do Paraíso is one of the oldest temples in the region and have been donated in the twelfth century the monastery of Paço de Sousa. In the eighteenth century and nineteenth century was rebuilt, having been built a new sacristy and tiled facade in 1937.

Saturday, March 13, 2010

Visit the Pier of Midões - Raiva

With a magnificent scenery along the Douro River is located in the Pier of Midões, in Raiva, ideal for those who appreciate quiet moments along the rivers.

The villages of shale of Midões and Godarem - Raiva

The villages of shale of Midões and Godarem, in Raiva, have the beauty of the stone construction and typical mountain villages. A visit is worth, the tranquility of the landscape, the beauty of buildings and for a taste of old.

Friday, March 12, 2010

Visit the Chapel of Our Lady of Blackberries - Raiva

The Chapel of Our Lady of Blackberries, from where a procession of Lady of Blackberries, have been built in the late fifteenth century. Legend, which is due to the discovery by a farmer of a cork that gave blackberries instead of acorns. Approaching the tree would have found a sculpture of the Virgin. Moved to the Virgin Church in the village, but the image would be restored in the same tree. He decided to build a temple population covering the tree inside. Next carved by a woodworker, a throne in the trunk of the oak then installing the statue of Our Lady of Blackberries.

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Visit the Chapel of St. Domingos (Mount and Viewpoint) - Raiva

The Chapel of S. Domingos, located at Mount St. Domingos, in Raiva, with 500 meters of altitude, has a chime. Here you can admire one of the most beautiful landscapes of the Douro river, between steep ravines and manors that populate the landscape.

Visit Pillory of Raiva

The pillory of Raiva rises over a short wall, near the parish church. It consists of a square base very coarse, which is based directly on a smooth column of octagonal section and chop very irregular, topped by a pyramidal body protruding worn, and top-truncated.

Visit Mines Pejão in Pedorido

Mines Pejão (Germunde) started business in 1886 having been shut down after 108 years by decision of the Government. Galleries were open 50 by 50 meters and up to 500 long these galleries were estoucadas with eucalyptus logs only recently steel. In these galleries were opening tunnels, which were called biased, through being, where the coal was extracted. These mines had two entries.

Visit the Dock of Arda in Pedorido

The Dock of Arda, place for those who like a ride on a pedal, a quiet and peaceful. It is located in the Town of Pedorido the waters of the Arda River.

Visit Choupal Beach in Pedorido

Choupal Beach, the location of Concas, Town of Pedorido, situated on the banks of the Arda River with a fabulous view on this. Ideal for moments of rest.

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Visit the parish church of Pedorido

The parish church of Pedorido located at the waters of the Douro River is worth a visit, if only for the fantastic surroundings.

Visit Arda River in Castelo de Paiva

The Arda River flows into the Douro in Pedorido. It is an exceptionally quiet location with a fabulous view of the River. The Arda River is born in Arouca. River formed by the junction of the Gondim river and Marialva River.

Monday, March 8, 2010

Visit the Paiva River in Castelo de Paiva

Watercourse with a distance of 111km and a catchment area of 77km2, the Paiva River is a river which rises in the Portuguese Serra da Nave, in Pêra Velha, in the municipality of Moimenta da Beira and flows into the Douro River, the area riverside Furnace in Castelo de Paiva. The river is the site of spawning trout (Salmo trout). You are currently classified as SIC - Site of Community Importance of Natura 2000. Rio Paiva is one of the best preserved in Europe. Its main tributaries of the Frades River and Paivô River Friars. Local widely used for water sports.

Visit Douro River in Castelo de Paiva

The Douro River lard five of the nine parishes in the county and runs through steep ravines, in landscapes of dream and sometimes fragile barges and boats from local fishermen, a boat rabelo appears as if lost in the mists of time, remembering the hard times transport of fine wine from the strip to the pier in Vila Nova de Gaia.

There are berths in coastal areas of the Douro in Castelo de Paiva, in places Castelo (Fornos), Midões (Raiva) and Concas (Pedorido) locations served by crowded beaches, inland waterways, which are also found in Paiva in Várzea ( Bairros) and Ratão (Fornos), sites where peace feel like to enjoy forever.

Manors, which produces the best red green the world, part of the landscape, many of them contemplating the river, now converted into tourist route

Sunday, March 7, 2010

Visit Castelo de Paiva

The Municipality of Castelo de Paiva located 45 kilometers from the city of Oporto, belongs to the District of Aveiro, extending from the limits to the Arouca River, between the municipalities of Cinfães, Gondomar and Santa Maria da Feira. This county, which is located between the Beira Litoral and Douro Litoral, has a landscape of unusual beauty.
With an area of 109 sq. km, and with a population of 17 thousand inhabitants, is a traditionally rural county, composed of 9 citys.

Bairros - original name was San Miguel de Barrios, due to the patron. The Town has a long life, despite not knowing the exact date. Males who grew up in picturesque terraces overlooking the river Paiva, forming a landscape of unique beauty.

Fornos - In the first interviews held emerges as the end of Paiva and his parish was formed in the X century and are Palo (now St. Pelagius) Patron of the Parish.
Perodiro - It was the first Earth Paiva, at least since the tenth century Territory or rocky terrain between the Arda River in the east and the small brook airs in the west. This parish is included in the coal Couto Miner coalfields, the mines worked the coalfields between 1886 and 1994.

Raiva - The 1258 referred inquiries to the location of anger as "Villa honorata" That is, with special privileges before the Crown. Populated area of prehistoric times, revealed the existence of tumuli. The parish was marked by the coal industry was thought to go back to the time of the Arab presence in the Iberian Peninsula.

Real - The town dates back to the formation of nationality, then appearing with the name of Villa Rial, despite being noble land and not real. It is situated between hills and valleys, and parts of the territory and the plain Monte de Santa Iria, about 640 meters of altitude.

Santa Maria da Sardoura - Sardoura The place name is of Arabic origin and means spinning. The inquiries for 1258 already report the existence of Sardoura. From the top of the Golan S. Gens and S. Paul can be seen a beautiful landscape of the valley of the River Douro Sardoura.

São Martonho de Sardoura - At the end of the fifteenth century it appeared as Town annexed to Santa Maria de Sardoura, but it is thought that should have former existence. The viewpoint of Catapeixe has an impressive view of the confluence of the Rio Paiva in the Douro River and on the island of the castle.

São Pedro do paraíso - Town of terrain, with a large patch of woodland with small settlements scattered throughout a large surface. The inquiries of 1258 include the territory of the Town in Pedorido, but in 1320 already appears in the record the parishes.

Sobrado - The most ancient of its existence date back to the XI. Sobrado have been home of the parents of St. Anthony of Lisbon. The legend says that Martin de Bulhões, father of San Antonio, wanted to conquer D. Teresa Taveira and to do so had to undergo severe tests of the medieval customs and has yet to be faced with a suitor for the hand of Teresa, who was named Sun Fafes. It appears that this duel, which was the winner Martin de Bulhões, held at the place where is located the Marmorial Boavista.

Short Historical Review

Initially called "Paiva" there are only about 150 years the county was renamed in Castelo de Paiva. D. Manuel I granted a charter on December 1, 1513. Castelo de Paiva has a rich history from the Palaeolithic the magnificent geographical position has made several civilizations could settle there. The proof is in several megalithic monuments known throughout the county. The Roman occupation is also evidenced by numerous monuments. In the Middle Ages the region belonged to the territory of Anégia. Only after the eleventh century, and the final conquest is beginning to form the identity of called Land of Paiva.


In County:
Douro River
Paiva River
Arda River

In Pedorido:
Church of Pedorido
Bridge of Railways and Steam Locomotive
Beach Choupal
Dock of Choupal
Dock of Arda
Mines Pejão
House of Póvoa

In Raiva:
Church Raiva
Pelourinho of raiva
Mountain Viewpoint and Chapel of St. Domingos
Chapel of Our Lady of Blackberries
Shale Villages of Midões and Gondarem
Pier Midões
Farm and chapel of Fontaínhas

In São Pedro do paraíso:
Church of St. Pedro
Chapel of Santa Barbara
Memorial to Miners
St. Eufémia

In Real:
Church of Santa Marinha and sculptures of Adro
Portal Adro
Mountain of Santa Iria
Cross of Ancia

In Bairros:
Parish Church of Bairros
Farm and Solar Fisga
Beach of Varzea
Farm of Fountain
Bridge Loureiral (Bateira)
Gallows of alto da Forca
Chapel of St. Lourenço
Chapel of Our Lord of afflicted

In Fornos:
Parish Church of Saint Pelágio
Castle Island
Chapel of Castle Island
Pier Castle
Castle Beach
Pool Castle
Portal Çarrada
Palace of Gondim
House of Cardia
Penedo do Carcajo
Bridge of Caminhas
Chapel of St. António
Cruise of Fornos
Chapel of Fontaínhas
Chapel of Our Lady of Desterro
House and Farm of Covêlo
House of Pousada
Farm of Toutiçal

In S. Martinho of Sardoura:
Church of São Martinho
Chapel of São Braz
Viewpoint of Catapeixe

In Santa Maria de Sardoura:
Church of Santa Maria
River Port
Angel of Portugal
farm of Pedregal

In Sobrado:
Church of Our Lady of the Assunção
Marmorial Sobrado
Building chain
Square of Conde
Lime Tree Park
Penedo de Vegide (Pia Moorish)
Portal da Serra
Farm of Boavista and Fountain
Farm and Chapel Vegide

Festivals and Fairs

In County:
Festivities in honor of Saint Adrião, at the end of May.
Feast of St. Domingos da Serra - August 4.
Feast of St. João - June 23.
Pilgrimage of Santa Eufemia - mid-September.
Fair Green Wine, Food and Crafts - 1st weekend of July weekend.

On Bairros:
Festivities in honor of Our Lady of Sorrows - 1st Sunday in July.
Festivities in honor of St. Lourenço - 2nd Sunday in August.

In Fornos:
Feast of Saint Pelágio - 1st weekend of July.

In São Pedro do paraíso:
Pilgrimage of Santa Eufémia - 15.15 and 16 September

In Pedorido:
Fiestas de Santa Eulália
Fiestas de Santo António
Fiestas de San Isidro
Fiestas de São Pedro
Fiestas de Santa Barbara

In Raiva:
Pilgrimage of Saint Domingos Serra - August 4
Feasts of Our Lady of Blackberries - 7 and 8 September
Feasts of San Lourenço
Feasts of San Caetano
Feasts of San Ildefonso
Feasts of São João
Feasts of St. Jose

In Real:
Feasts of Our Lady of Health - Last Sunday in August
Feasts of S. Iria
Feasts of St. Gonçalo
Feasts of St. Joseph

In Santa Maria de Sardoura:
Feast of Our Lady of the Assumption - August 15
Pilgrimage of the lady of the valley - 3rd Sunday in August

In São Martinho de Sardoura:
Feasts of São Braz - 1st Sunday of May.

In Sobrado:
Pilgrimage of Saint João - June 24
Feast of Our Lady of Miracles - 15 to 17 August.


The manufacture of artistic objects in copper, the manufacture of blankets and other pieces still produced in rudimentary looms, the making of pieces of linen, basketry and typical miniature houses built in schist stones and slate are what one can call the regional crafts of Castelo de Paiva.

There are still several artisans devoted to building musical instruments (ukuleles), or miniature vessels typical of the region (Rabelo boats), or even small models of houses most of this area, in addition to artwork in wood, pieces that reflect the arts and crafts of several generations.


Castelo de Paiva has a rich and varied gastronomy, especially rice, catfish and shad in due season the lamb with rice in the oven, put Arouquesa, the farmer's stew, steak with onion sauce and the Lapadas the cod pieces and put the traditional veal, as the most requested in this region and to the delight of connoisseurs.

The strips in the manner of Paiva, soup - dry, the desserts and bread-cake of Serradelo and Sardoura in a golden whet the appetite, become irresistible delicacies to be accompanied with the famous red green wine Paiva, one of the best of the vineyard and has repeatedly won awards at national level.

In the village and the entire municipality, you will find in restaurants as well as the tents of festivals and fairs, local specialties to grow "mouth water.



In Sobrado:
Typical Restaurant Casa de S. Peter
The Cellar Regional Gonzagas
Restaurant Casa do Zé
Ideal Restaurant Grill
Restaurant / Pizzeria Leader
Restaurant / Seafood Gate Cha
Restaurant / Pizzeria Ricardo
The Compadre Restaurant
Do Douro Terrace Restaurant
Restaurant "Bela Vista"
Central Board
Restaurant "The Pot Still
The Cellar Regional Carriço
Restaurant Café Concerto

In Bairros:
Restaurant / Seafood Gate Cha
Restaurante Dona Amelia

In Raiva:
Restaurant Palheiro

In Pedorido:
Restaurant Jardins do Arda
Adega Regional Ramadinha
Between terrace-Bridges

In Real:
Restaurant Malhadoura the

Where to stay
In Sobrado:
Hotel Rural Casa de S. Pedro
Residencial Castelo Douro

In Pedorido:
House Fornelo

Visit the Bridge Azinhal - Vila Nova da Baronia

The Bridge Azinhal, although it is also known as "Roman Bridge", is actually a medieval bridge built over a Roman bridge. Situated on the Ribeira de Vila Nova.
It has a board narrow and steep ramps with three round arches, the central largest.
Part of the route stones Route Santa Agueda.

Visit the Chapel of St. Antonio in Vila Nova da Baronia

The Chapel of St. Antonio in Vila Nova da Baronia, is located in the countryside about 1 km from the village. Was founded in the sixteenth century.
There are still traces of frescoes in the eighteenth elevations, chapel and vault (a choir of angels musicians). Under the archway of the patron records - San Antonio.
The state of ruin casual obscures the beauty of the building.

Visit the Chapel of S. Agueda / Chapel of saint - Vila Nova da Baronia

The Chapel of S. Agueda / Chapel of saint neutel is located on the outskirts of Vila Nova da Barony.
Integrated in the Farm Aires has in its turn farmland. Several buildings around the chapel to the north and south in the vicinity is a platform with backrest in wood decorated with paintings representing the latest patron, the venue for the annual festivities.

Of longitudinal, composed of the rectangle and the square of the ship's chapel, which is contigu south square of the vestry, west porch of rectangular and various annexes to the north and south Volumes articulated with different toppings: roofs 1, 2, 3 and 4 on water attachments, nave, chancel and porch respectively dome on the vestry. Main façade marked by large porch, ripped by 3 arches (boarded up the south side), lowered on Tuscan pilasters on each side, covered by a vault of edges, the facade of a blind arc identical to the leaked porch frames the adintelado portal framed. Nave single 2 legs covered with stellate domes, carved with locks, measures based on columns fasciculate. Grid-iron separating the nave of the chapel; triumphal arch in broken arch, the chancel with the same coverage, with the cross of Christ and an eight-pointed star in the locks, anchored in addorsed columns, capitals with vegetal; the altar mor front of seventeenth-century polychrome tiles, Eastern-influenced, featuring foliage and birds, focusing on image Brites; altarpiece in gilt. Vestry summit covered with tubes.
The entire interior, side and vaults are covered by mural in fresco, with multiple layers of intervention, representing scenes from the life of Saint Agatha and Brites, musical angels in the chapel, various saints (Saint Lucia, Saint Catherine of Alexandria , St. Andrew, St. Augustine, St. Paul hermit, Sao Bras, Sao Luis, Santo Amaro, St. Barts, St. Paul, St. Mary Magdalene, St. John the Baptist, St. Rita, St. Francis of Assisi), the Virgin and Child , the Pietà, the Trinity, representing the slaughter of innocents in the nave and side elevation of the gospel in the 1st leg of the nave, representing a giant St. Christopher carrying the Child.
Its construction dates from the early sixteenth century and dedicated to St. Eleuterio, Pope from 174 to 189, named for corruption has become a popular Brites, hagiographic legendary character. In 1570 runs the altarpiece in the XVII century the construction of the porch and in 1755 the construction of the portal, after the earthquake when the chapel was then given the additional name day of Saint Agatha, holy place of great devotion, causing a human implantation in around, leading to the village of São Neutel, that still exists in the houses around the temple. The architecture is religious, popular, Gothic, Mannerist. Center consists of periodic pilgrimages rural chapel of average size, preceded by a large porch with attached buildings where they operated the homes of the pilgrims and the hermit. Inside the vaulted roof of cross vaults measures based on beams and columns in columns addorsed with latches and corbels carved heraldic and vegetal character; porch and portal with mannerist characteristics. Set of murals in the elevations and roof of a regional workshop. The darkness of the interior without any input light is offset by vibrant polychrome frescoes covering the walls and vaults of popular character.

This monument is only open to visitors during the Festival in Honor of Saint Agueda and Neutel, in April.

Visit the Church of Mercy Chapel of Lord of Passos - Vila Nova da Baronia

The Church of Mercy/ Chapel of Our Lord is situated in Vila Nova da Baronia, County of Alvito. The plant lengthwise and spread consists of nave and chancel, closer, which is contigu, on the Epistle side, the Sacristy.
Main façade of a single piece and a doorway of stone wickerwork with a straight right lintel, trim and curved cross in mortar, and topped by gabled door with steel, framed by the pyramidal pinnacles acrotério lateral and central acrotério surmounted by a cross.
South Elevation of four panels delimited by the foothills of the rectangular, topped by pyramidal pinnacles, on the third leg adosso the volume of the side chapel; basement ramp connecting the counters; volume of the chancel of a cloth blind, slightly indented. West Elevation of a cloth, blind, with gabled, addorsed angle in the Southwest. a small rectangular bell ring with a pyramidal crown. South elevation with buildings addorsed. Inside: a single nave, covered by vaulted ceiling tearing of cornice, with four legs defined by diaphragm arches-starters cantilevers at the cornice.
The set is decorated with mural painting with broad composition of lobes, foliage and twelve medallions hagiographic, with representation from San Antonio, a Holy Father, St. Dominic, St. Benedict, St. Louis and a holy Ermita, oval table in the master with the bow date 1631, the elevations are distributed superior paintings portraying some corporal works of mercy: to feed the hungry, give drink to the thirsty (a joint composition) give lodging to pilgrims and the poor, rescue the captives, bury the dead and heal the sick.
Windscreen, with laver of holy water at the entrance, on the Epistle side, and a side chapel on the third leg on each side, with round arch built on pillars and glazed dressing.
The triumphal arch is a perfect turn based on three pillars and steps; chapel coverage with vaulted ceiling, pulling the cornice, also decorated with pictorial composition, with emphasis on the floats to the Passion of Christ, while remaining in prospectuses side depictions of "Last Supper" (Gospel side) and the Congregation of the Apostles (on the Epistle side), with Mr Dead altar under consideration, altar and shrine of gilt and polychrome, with panel painting in oil on wood, representing the "Visitation", the wall of the Gospel side, access door to the sacristy and window. Religious Architecture, Baroque. The building is distinguished by high quality and profusion of wall paintings that decorate the walls and vaults, that are attributed to Jose Escobar.

The Chapel now serves as the mortuary chapel of the Villa.

Visit Church of our Lady of the Assumption - Vila Nova Baronia

Located in the Town of Vila Nova da Baronia, County of Alvito, built in the sixteenth century, this church is an example of Mannerist architecture level. The size reflects the importance of the village and its interior witness the wealth with the various altars and gilded, the Mannerist painting of altarpieces and ceiling tiles.
Of square plan, has a unique vaulted ceiling. From either side, two towers topped by turrets shaped pyramid. In the chapel, can be enjoyed valuable tiles of the eighteenth century.

Visit the Chapel and Santa Luzia Viewpoint - Alvito

Located east of the village of Alvito is the Chapel of the XVI century, consisting of a temple of Nortex.
It originated in the use of an old Morabitino, having been converted in the sixteenth century. It has paintings of exceptional quality and perfect fitting space.
Was classified as a public interest in 1963. But the lack of interest meant that the paintings are in an advanced degree of deterioration that is regrettable.

Visit the Convent of Our Lady of Martyrs - Alvito

The Convent of Our Lady of Martyrs was founded in the first half of the sixteenth century by D. Rodrigo Lobo, took the current name because it was built near the Chapel of St. Mary of the Martyrs. There had been installed the religious of the Franciscan Order and therefore is also known as the Convent of San Francisco. It is one of the most beautiful buildings of the sixteenth century Council of Alvito. It is an unfortunate state of degradation that is.
It is situated 2 km from the village.

Visit the Manueline the county of Alvito - route Manueline

This is one of the portals that make up the itinerary of the county Manueline Alvito. Distinguishes itself by integrating a manor house in the sixteenth century manor house boasts a gorgeous window Mannerist. This portal adintelado, boasts two canopies and bows on each corner has a frown. Marking the meeting of two arcs is a mask.

Saturday, March 6, 2010

Visit the clock tower and town hall

Housing is currently the administrative offices of the City Council of Alvito the clock tower date of the first half of the sixteenth century, in the seventeenth century the Town of the county moved into the current space and thus increased the building around the tower early.

To Visit Church of Mercy of Alvito

The Church of Mercy of Alvito is an architectural building that makes up the mercy and the chapel of Nossa Senhora das Candeias. Built in 1520 but which were processed many subsequent amendments. It highlights the tiles covering almost entirely the remit of the Church and the mural in the chapel ousia proto-Baroque style representing the themes of epiphany and the Annunciation.
Was ranked in 1962 as a building of public interest.

Friday, March 5, 2010

To visit Caves of Rossio - Alvito

Caves of Rossio have been carved by man since the thirteenth and fourteenth century, were used to extract mos. Some documents also report that these tunnels will be built to connect the other houses of the lords of the village (Lobos da Silveira).

To Visit the Chapel of St. Sebastian in Alvito

The Chapel of St. Sebastian in Alvito was built in the early sixteenth century, presents an architecture framed in Gothic-Mudejar, characteristic of Gothic style in the Alentejo. It is located on the edge of town since it was built in perspective and the belief that thus protect, by the action of the patron Saint Sebastian, the plague.
This chapel had a mural of the principle of the XVII century, this painting, which covered the entire interior. What now remains, demonstrates how to paint a fresco of this region, using the theme of angels musicians.

To Visit the First Church of Nossa Senhora da Assunção - Alvito

The Church of Alvito - devoted to Nossa Senhora da Assunção and located in the Alentejo town of Beja - Manueline is a temple of great aesthetic beauty, built in the twelfth and fourteenth century and almost totally rebuilt in the XVI century.
Enhanced by foothills on the flanks, its façade is marked by powerful and solid granite giants of three floors and torn by gargoyles. These opens the portal Mannerist, consisting of round arch with columns pinnacles and crowned above by a triangular pediment, on which has the huge picture window of the choir, ending with gabled.
The various volumes outside the temple are marked by buttresses side with gargoyles, among which are open the windows of the temple. The ship axial is higher, supported by arches, botantes discharging the burden on the masses of the foothills. The capstone of the temple, and the highest axial nave, are covered by battlements beveled and framed, in some cases intervals of slender pinnacles. The stately bell tower rises above the threshold, with the capstone marked by pinnacles and coverage held by a spire.
The body of the church is divided into three naves, the central higher and wider, divided into four legs and developed transept, the latter marked by broken arch - as the side chapels (funerary chapel housing the tombs of the Lords of Alvito) and the triumphal arch - while the remaining would bear the full show. Maintain coverage of ogival arches cross, bearing the keys to the vaults of the center the Cross of Christ and other symbols. At the back of the church, on broad arches, is the choir loft.
In the nave is an elegant marble pulpit, classic lines and stanchions. On the walls of the aisles are several altars and gilded baroque, exposing several images of saints. This exuberant decoration fits with the coating, the half time, rugs tile standard of the seventeenth century (c. 1647) and the upper panels with the figuration of saints.
The chapel is covered by a vaulted ceiling with coffered, painted with seventeenth-century ornaments. It has mosaic tiles covering the walls, while the front of the altar is painted with a fresh composition - in which there is Pieta surrounded by angels, S. John and the Holy Women. The altarpiece start of a structure in marble and is a work in gilded Baroque Nacional. On the throne is the patron installment of this temple.
The Church of Alvito was classified as a National Monument (NM) in 1939.