Custom Search

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Visit the Fundão

The Fundão is a county that belongs to the District of Castelo Branco, and sub-region of Cova da Beira, with about 8369 inhabitants.
The toponym Fundão site was first mentioned in documents of 1307 and then 1314 and 1320 referring to 32 homes. At that time was short in population and influence, several villages that are now part of his county, like the Souto da Casa.
The history of Fundão as preeminent urban center is constrained from the start by New Christians, as well as the neighboring municipalities of Belmonte and Author. After the expulsion of Spanish Jews (Sephardim) in 1492 by the Catholic monarchs Ferdinand and Isabella, large numbers of refugees came to settle in Cova da Beira, where it already had significant Jewish minorities.
These were immigrants, founding neighborhoods of which the most important was located around the Cale Street (Street of the meeting or the synagogue in Hebrew) that allowed the local Fundão assume the dimensions of a real city. The influx of Jewish merchants and craftsmen transform the city into a major center for commerce and industry.
With the establishment of the Inquisition, began the persecution of Jews and New Christians, many have been the expropriation, torture and executions. Are still frequent the names of New Christians in the region's inhabitants. The city has lost so much at the time of its economic dynamism.
In 1580 the notables of the city gave its support for the Prior of Crato D. Anthony, against the wishes of the King of Spain D. Philip II (Philip I of Portugal).
The county was founded in 1747 by order of King John V, freeing it from the Author.
During the Enlightenment the end of the eighteenth century, the then Prime Minister of the kingdom, the Marquis of Pombal after the match legally New Christian to Christian-old, sought to restore the city's economic preeminence founding the Royal textile industry, where today is located in the Town Hall. At that time again to be exported in the amount of wool fabrics Fundão. In the nineteenth century Fundão was looted during the Napoleonic wars, and again suffered during the Civil War between the Liberals pro-D. Pedro II and the Conservatives pro-D. Miguel.
The April 19, 1988 Fundão was elevated to the City.

The city is located at the foot of Monte de S. Brás, a branch of Gardunha on the plateau of Cova da Beira, at an altitude of 500 meters. It is the seat of a municipality with 700.13 km ² and 30,867 inhabitants (2008), subdivided into 31 parishes. The municipality is bordered to the north by the cities of Covilha, Belmonte and Sambucus, east by Penamacor and Idanha-a-Nova, Castelo Branco to the south, southwest and west by a Oleiros Pampilhosa da Serra.


The city is an important site of commerce, services and indústria.O county comprises part of the most fertile land in the region, the great valley of Cova da Beira, where it passes the Zêzere its numerous streams and tributaries. Major productions are made of cherries and sour cherries, peaches, olives and wine.

There tungsten mines (mineral which is extracted from the metal tungsten) in Panasqueira, among the most important of its kind in the world, also lead and tin. There are quantities of silver and gold. Its mineral water is a bestseller in Portugal.

At the exit to the north along the Covilhã EN 18 developed various trades and industries of interest to the national level and processing of wood, granite, glass and pools. In this area there are several hotels, restaurants and swimming pools with interest.

The parishes of the Municipality of Fundão are:

Warden is a parish in the municipality of Fundão, with 16.95 km ² and 764 inhabitants (2001). Density: 45.1 inhabitants / km ².
Was a town and county seat, constituted only by a parish until the early nineteenth century. In 1801, 1173 inhabitants.
Dedicated to St. Macarius, always occurring every year on the 3rd Sunday after Easter. This festival is the most important of all the festivities that occur in this village, this village is very devoted to St. Macarius.

Alcaria is a parish with 21.51 km ² and 1271 inhabitants (2001). Density: 59.1 inhabitants / km ².
The Festival Village will take place on the 1st weekend of September

Alcongosta is a parish with 7.48 km ² and 573 inhabitants (2001). Density: 76.6 inhabitants / km ². It is best known as the "land of the cherry" and is located in the mountainside Gardunha.

Village of Johannesburg is a parish with 7.99 km ² and 971 inhabitants (2001). Density: 121.5 persons per sq. km.

Aldeia Nova do Cabo is a parish of 9.69 km ² and 683 inhabitants (2001). Density: 70.5 inhabitants / km ².

Alpedrinha is a parish with 18.22 km ² and 1184 inhabitants (2001). Density: 65.0 persons per km ².
It consists of a village, south of Gardunha. It is situated 556 meters above sea level.
Was the county seat between 1202 and 1855. It comprises the parishes of Alpedrinha and Vale de Prazeres and had in 1801, 1703 inhabitants. After 1834, he has been attached to the parishes of Atalaia do Campo, New Castle, Lardosa, Orca, Póvoa de Atalaia and Sunny. He had, in 1849, 7318 inhabitants.
Atalaia do Campo is a parish with 11.19 km ² and 645 inhabitants (2001). Density: 57.6 persons per sq. km. It was the town and the county seat in 1570 and the early nineteenth century, when it was integrated in the municipality of Alpedrinha. It was also called Atalaia of Beira. Had only one parish, and in 1801, 358 inhabitants.

Baroque is a parish with 23.14 km ² and 634 inhabitants (2001). Density: 27.4 inhabitants / km ².

Bogas de Baixo is a parish with 33.90 km ² and 275 inhabitants (2001). Density: 8.1 persons per sq. km.

Bogas de Cima became a parish in the eighteenth century, formed, so far, along with Bogas de Baixo and Bogas Half the parish of Bogas. The second half of the eighteenth century, Bogas de Cima became an independent parish, as Bogas de Baixo. Middle Bogas became an annex of the parish of Bogas Cima.Em 1758 Bogas de Cima was still attached to the parish of hiss and had ten and a half of fireworks. Currently Bogas de Cima is greater than its neighbor Bogas de Baixo.

Flax weaving and its history are closely linked to the Bogas de Cima, with documentation of this activity dated 1892.Actualmente integrates the tourist route of the Lands of Shale. The local parties are Flax Fair (July), Festival of Boxin (last weekend of July), Old Hammer Festival (last weekend of July) and the Feast of Bogas de Cima (first weekend of August )

Capinha is a parish with 51.92 km ² and 620 inhabitants (2001). Density: 11.9 inhabitants / km ².

Castelejo is a parish of 29.48 km ² and 824 inhabitants (2001). Density: 28.0 inhabitants / km ².

New Castle is a parish with 40.91 km ² and 439 inhabitants (2001). Density: 10.7 inhabitants / km ².

Ladies is a parish with 8.08 km ² and 912 inhabitants (2001). Density: 112.9 persons per sq. km.

Swarm is a parish with 22.45 km ² and 596 inhabitants (2001). Density: 26.5 inhabitants / km ².

Escarigo is a parish with 9.32 square kilometers in area and 309 inhabitants (2001). Density: 33.2 inhabitants / km ².

Fatel is a parish with 11.01 km ² area of 600 inhabitants (2007). Density: 51.8 inhabitants / km ². Martyr St. Sebastian (Sunday Magro), Espírito Santo (seven weeks after Easter) and Guardian Angel (2nd Sunday in August).

Fundão is a parish with 17.91 km ² and 8957 inhabitants (2001). Density: 500.1 persons per sq. km.

Previously, the parish of St. Martin, as suggested by the split hood of the coat. The parish of the parish also has the same name "parish of St. Martin, because St. Martin of Dume is patron of Fundão from distant times and, naturally, the parish took the name of the patron saint who had already fundanenses. Both of the two are still the only territorial divisions of the city of Fundão, and geographically coincide.

Janeiro de Cima is a parish with 11.92 km ² and 352 inhabitants (2001). Density: 29.5 inhabitants / km ².

This village is one of 24 included in the Network of Schist Villages. Situated on the banks of the river Zêzere.
Lavacolhos is a parish with 19.38 km ² and 244 inhabitants (2009). Density: 12.5 inhabitants / km ².

Forest Queen is a parish with 20.36 km ² and 214 inhabitants (2001). Density: 10.5 inhabitants / km ².

Orca is a parish which is part of the diocese of Guarda and the former Portuguese province of Beira Baixa. With 54.58 km ² and 800 inhabitants (2001). Density: 14.7 inhabitants / km ². Its patron saint of San Francisco.

Peroviseu is a parish with 19.25 km ² and 831 inhabitants (in 2001). Density: 43.2 inhabitants / km ².

Povoa da Atalaia is a parish with 11.07 km ² and 791 inhabitants (2001). Density: 71.5 inhabitants / km ².

Famous natives:

Eugenio de Andrade (1923-2005)

Willow is a parish with 56.49 km ² and 807 inhabitants (2001). Density: 14.3 inhabitants / km ².

Silvares is a parish with 200.95 km ² and 1104 inhabitants (2006). Density: 50.28 inhabitants / km ².

Sunny is a parish with 13.94 km ² and 1130 inhabitants (2001). Density: 81.1 inhabitants / km ².

Souto da Casa is a parish with 29.13 km ² and 988 inhabitants (2001). Density: 33.9 inhabitants / km ².

Roof is a parish with 17.52 km ² and 619 inhabitants (2001). Density: 35.3 inhabitants / km ². Located in the heart of Cova da Beira, its main attraction is the pottery.

Vale de Prazeres is a parish with 40.50 km ² and 1510 inhabitants (2001). Density: 37.3 inhabitants / km ².

Valverde is a parish with 14.51 km ² and 1422 inhabitants (2001). Density: 98,0 inhabitants per sq. km.

What to Visit

In County:
Archaeological Museum José Monteiro
Rio Zêzere
Cova da Beira

In the Town of Mayor:
Brook Magalão
Ribeira dos Rams
Old Riverside
Ribeira do Alcaide
Chapel of St. Sebastian Martyr
Chapel of the Holy Spirit
Chapel of St. Francis of Assisi
Chapel of St. Anthony
Chapel of Nossa Senhora da Oliveira
Chapel of St. Macarius
Fountain Place
Source of Lages
Fountain Valley
Source Baroque
Dry Fountain
Fountain Joaquim Pedro Gil

In the Town of Alcaria:
Ribeira da Meimoa
Chapel of Our Lady of Needs
Church of the feet
River Beach
Fifth of Dust
Solar da Quinta do Ortigal

In Alcongosta Parish:

In the Town of Village of Johannesburg:
Riverside Meimoa
Source Rua da Fonte
Source Figueiredo
Church of St. Peter

In New Town Village Cape:

In the Town of Alpedrinha:
Sacred Art Museum
Museum of the League of Friends of Alpedrinha
Museum José Santos Pinto
Church of Mercy
Chapel of St. Sebastian
Chapel of the Infant Jesus
Chapel of the Holy Spirit
Chapel of the Lord of the Olive
Chapel of St. Anthony
Chapel of St. Mary Magdalene
Chapel of St. Catherine
Chapel of the Guardian Angel
Roman Walk
Source of Leather
Source Carvalho
Source Tanquinho
Source Lion
Source Pateo
Source Fontainha
Source Foundation
Source ordeal
Source of San Antonio
Source Half bushel
Source of Hunger
Fountain of the Holy Spirit
New Fountain
D. Fountain John V
House of Commendation
Palace of the ring
House of Ms. Mendes
House of the Patio
Casa do Barreiro
Cardinal House
Town Hall

In the Town of Atalaia the field:

In the Town of Bogas de Baixo:
Ribeira da Boga

In the Town of Bogas de Cima:
Ribeira da Boga
Chapel of St. Sebastian
Casa Redonda
Bed and Shale
Camp Adventure

In the Town of Baroque:
Village Xisto da Barroca
Chapel of Our Lady of the Rock
Chapel of Nossa Senhora da Agonia
Chapel of St. John
Capela de Sao Romao
Shrine of the Guardian Angel
Sanctuary Alminhas
Fountain Valentine
Water mills
Rock engravings
Pit of the Cauldron

In the Town of Capinha:
Pedra Aguda
Ponte da Ribeira da Meimoa
Site of Santinha
Lugar do Cruzeiro
Dam Capinha
Bathing Zone
Park lunch
Chapel of St. Anthony
Chapel of St. Mark
Chapel of the Holy Spirit
Windows Manuelinas
House of Pinto Castelo Branco
Casa do Adro
Home of Dona Carlota
Palace of the "Golden Valley"
Fountain Donkeys
Power Down
Power Up

In Town Castelejo:
Bridge Watermill

In the Town of New Castle:
Castelo de Castelo Novo
Church of Mercy
Chapel of St. Anthony
Fountain spout
Typical Village in New Castle
Hillock of the Rooster
Dam New Castle

In the Town of Ladies:
Casa do Paço das Donas
Solar Beirão

In the Town of Swarms:
Church of Our Lady of boredom
Church of Nossa Senhora do Bom Parto
Castro da Covilhã Old
Swarms of Ribeira

In the Town of Escarigo:
Bell Tower
Sculpture of St. Sebastian
Dam Escarigo

In the Town of Fatel:
Chapel of St. Sebastian Martyr
Chapel of the Holy Spirit
Chapel of Our Lady of Conception
Chapel of the Guardian Angel
Source Little Village
Source People

In the Town of Fundão:
Church of Saint Martin
Chapel of Our Lady of Light
Capucho Convent of Our Lady of the Pebble
St. Michael Chapel and Chapel of Mercy
Chapel of St. Francis

Town in January Up:
Church of the Holy Spirit
Village Shale January Up

In the Town of Lavacolhos:
Ribeira das Ximassas

In the Town of Forest Queen:
Roman Fountain
Minas de San Francisco
Graves Anthropomorphic
Queen's Walk

In the Town of Orca:
San Francisco Church
Chapel of Nossa Senhora da Oliveira
Chapel of St. Anthony
Orca House
Monument to Our Lady of Fatima
Bridge "Romana"
Church of Zebras
Solar dos Caldeira e Bourbon
Martian Church

In the Town of Povoa da Atalaia:

In the Town of Pero Viseu
Do Meal Castro Redondo
Roman Bridge
Capela de Sao Romao
Chapel of the Holy Spirit
Chapel of St. Bartholomew
Tomb of the Moors
Viewpoint Pero Viseu

In the Town of Willow:
Chapel of Saint Anthony

In the Town of Silvares:
Church of St. John
Fountain of Adro
Sanctuary of Santa Luzia and Santa Eufemia

In the Town of Sunny:
Church of San Lorenzo
Source Godulho
Source Pateira
Health Source
Fountain Square
Fountain of St. John
Chapel of Our Lady of Necesasidades
Chapel of St. Sebastian
Chapel of St. Anthony

In the Town of Souto da Casa:

In the Town of Roof:
Source Virtue

In the Valley of Joy Parish:
Chapel of Our Lady of Joy
Solar do Castelo Branco Pinto
Chapel of the Holy Spirit
Roman Walk
Clock tower
Church corkline

In the Town of Valverde:
Roman Bridge of Peroviseu

Where to Stay

In the Town of Alpedrinha:
Casa do Barreiro
Pension Clara
Thursday's Guardian Angel

In the Town of New Castle:
New Castle House
Quinta do Hedgehog
House Petrus Guterres

In Town Village New cable:
House of the Top

Town in January Up:
House of Rock Roll
Casa de Janeiro

In the Town of Orca:
Solar dos Caldeira e Bourbon

In the Town of Fundão:
Hotel Resort Gold Alembic
Fundão Palace Hotel
Hotel Samasa
Snow Cottages
Camping Fundão

In the Town of Silvares:
Youth hostel Mine

In the Town of Ladies:
Hotel Principe da Beira

Where to Eat

In the Town of Alpedrinha:
Restaurant Papo D'Angel
Restaurant Cerejal

In the Town of Roof:
Restaurant "O Fernandes"

Town in January Up:
Spun Restaurant

In the Town of Fundão:
The Abbot Restaurant
Restaurant "The Beiral"
Restaurant The Golden Alembic
Restaurant The Boguinhas
Corner Restaurant the Grill
Grill Restaurant "The Chief"
Grill Restaurant "The Lindens"
Restaurant The Eclipse
Fundão Palace Hotel Restaurant
Erminia Restaurant
Mario's Restaurant
Grandma's Restaurant Grinding
Seafood Bocage
Seafood Restaurant Bela Vista
Restaurant Miner
The Panza Restaurant
Restaurant "The Park"
Restaurant venelus

In the Town of Ladies:
Cherry Restaurant

In the Town of Sunny
Restaurant Rural Gardunha

In the Town of Alcaria:
Mario Restaurant

In the Town of Willow:
Restaurant Martin

In New Town Village Cape:
Restaurant "O Fado Singer"

In the Town of Pero Viseu
The Cliff Restaurant

No comments:

Post a Comment