Custom Search

Monday, November 29, 2010

Visit the Chapel of Our Lady of Guadalupe - Raposeira

The Chapel of Our Lady of Guadalupe is located in the Town of Raposeira.
This small chapel dates from the thirteenth century and has many elements in a Gothic Romanesque base yet.
The main façade has a Gothic style, very simple and rural, with ogival portal and a rosette to surmount.
The interior is a single nave, the chancel being covered by a dome with beautiful decorated capitals.
During the fifteenth century the Chapel was built in Quinta da Raposeira, owned by Prince Henry, still leaving traces of the medieval palace where he resided the Prince that made possible the success of the Portuguese Discoveries.
In dry years it was tradition to come in pilgrimage to the Hermitage, to ask the blessing of the water at Santa Guadalupe.

Sunday, November 28, 2010

Visit Burgau Beach - Budens

Burgau Beach, located in the Town of Budens, is a typical fishing port looking out over the sea in a family atmosphere and quiet.Along the beach there is a fortification built in the reign of King John VI.

Visit the beach of Cabanas Velhas - Budens

Old Beach Huts, located in the Town of Budens, is surrounded by cliffs. This beach is usually calm waters and attended by practitioners of nudism. When the sea provides, surfing and body boarding are also an option. Many people know the beach like beach Barrancão.

Visit Salema Beach - Budens

Salema Beach, located in the Town of Budens is small and is adjacent to the fishing village of the same name and there are few tourist ventures. The waters are calm and ideal for scuba diving.
In its cliffs you can find fossilized dinosaur footprints.

Saturday, November 27, 2010

Visit Figueira Beach - Budens

The beach of Fig Tree, located in the Town of Budens is very quiet and has a certain air of world order, possibly due to lack of vehicles in the landscape. The beach is bordered by cliffs of warm colors with very curious forms, which can be seen, to the east, the ruins of a century fortification. XVI.
The car park is about 500m from the beach and pedestrian access is via a narrow trail that traverses one of the most beautiful valleys in the region, with green hills, areas of pine forest and towering limestone outcrops which can be seen enormous caves.

Visit the beach of Boca do Rio - Budens

The beach at Boca do Rio is situated in the Town of Budens about 5km from the town. This beach has an extensive beach is not guarded and has no infrastructure support. Has good conditions for diving.

Visit the Church of St. Sebastian - Budens

The Church of St. Sebastian, located in the Town of Budens, have been built in the sixteenth century. It has a nave. Received rehabilitation works in the eighteenth century, as evidenced by the date of the main entrance (1762). In the second half of the nineteenth and twentieth century works to get back. Inside there are the religious images of existing datable to the seventeenth century, as well as two sinks in sandstone of Manueline.

Visit the Fort St. Louis of Almadena - Budens

The Fort St. Louis of Almadena, located in the Town of Budens, must have started to be built around 1632. Despite the 1755 earthquake does not have caused extensive damage, the same can not be said of the action of erosion and abandonment that was voted. Despite being classified as property of public interest, lies in ruins and abandoned.

Visit the Chapel of St. Anthony - Budens

The Chapel of St. Anthony, located in the Town of Budens, have been built in the seventeenth century. The altar is carved and has an image of St. Anthony of wood, probably carved in the eighteenth century.

Visit the Church of St. Michael Baron

The Church of St. Michael Baron was built in the sixteenth century. It is a longitudinal plan with a nave and chancel. It has a simple façade with arched portal with wicker back perfect, topped by an oculus, and the triangular facade completed. Siding facade to the right, is a very sober bell tower with four eyelets and topped by a pyramidal spire. Inside stands the baroque altarpiece and the figure of the patron saint.

Visit the Natural Park of Southwest Alentejo and Costa Vicentina - Vila do Bispo

The Natural Park of Southwest Alentejo and Costa Vicentina covers the southwestern coast of Portugal in the south of the Alentejo coast in the western Algarve and around Cape St. Vincent. Includes areas of parishes in Vila do Bispo (Budens, Raposeira, Sagres and Vila do Bispo).
In the park there are several types of landscapes and natural habitats and semi-natural habitats such as cliffs and steep cliffs and jagged, beaches, several islets and reefs that stands out the promontory of Sagres and Cape St. Vincent in the County Vila do Bispo.
The climate is Mediterranean, but with strong maritime influence. Temperatures remain mild throughout the year except during periods of wind lift when they can rise or fall sharply.
The wind regime is an important factor in the climate of the region.The prevailing winds are from the northern quadrant. Sometimes southwest winds occur mainly in winter, while the lift occur with low incidence throughout the year. On summer evenings are common maritime breezes intense and laden with moisture.
The average annual temperature is 17/18 º C in Vila do Bispo, being 20 to 23 degrees C in summer and 11 to 13 peaks in winter range from -4 º C and 40 ° C
The area of the promontory of Sagres has the lowest temperature range in mainland Portugal.
The flora of the Natural Park of Southwest Alentejo Costa Vicentina and possesses a blend of Mediterranean vegetation, and Atlanco North Africa. There are about 750 species, of which 100 are endemic and 12 do not exist anywhere else in the world.
Among the endemic species there are, for example, plants such as: Biscutella Vincentian, Vincentian Scilla, Centaurea Vincentian, Diplotaxis Vincentian, Vincentian Hyacinthoides, Cistus palhinhae Plantago almogravensis. Other species are considered rare as Samouco (Myrica faya), the rowan (Sorbus domestica) or rotlunaleri Silene.
Tree species in the park area is divided into components classified as natural and artificial. The former are dominated by quercina, such as oak (Quercus suber) and cistus (Quercus faginea), especially in the ravines. The strawberry tree (Arbutus unedo L.) is also characteristic of this zone.
Tree species are classified as artificial mainly maritime pine (Pinus pinaster), eucalyptus (Eucalyptus globulus) and acacias.

The park is a staging area for soaring birds and migratory songbirds for transarianos in their movements between wintering areas in Africa and breeding in Europe. It is the last area creates the osprey in the Iberian Peninsula.
Among the birds are, among others, the following: osprey (Pandion haliaetus), cormorant (Phalocrocorax spp.), Blue rock, white stork (Ciconia ciconia), heron (Egretta garzetta) peregrine falcon (Falco peregrinus), kestrel-das-torres (Falco naumanni), crow-billed red (Pyrrhocorax pyrrhocorax), Blackbird-the-rock or blue merle (Monticola solitarius), kestrel (Falco tinnunculus), kingfishers, a water hen (Gallinula chloropus), Raven (Corvus corax), blue rock (Columba livia), rock-pigeon (Columba palumbus L.), gulls (Laridae), crow-billed red (Pyrrhocorax pyrrhocorax), goshawk (Accipiter gentilis), sparrowhawk (Accipiter nisus), owls (Strigidae), owl, warbler, goldfinch (Carduelis carduelis) pern-hunter (Circus pygargus), blue-pern (Circus cyaneus), curlew (Burhinus oedicnemus), Little Bustard (Tetrax), lapwing (Vanellus vanellus), snipe (Gallinago gallinago), eagle owl (Bubo bubo) Eagle-of-Bonelli (Hieraaetus fasciatus), Short-toed Eagle (Circaetus gallicus), hobby ( Falco subbuteo), small-owl (Asio otus), dove (Streptopelia turtur).

The mammals present in the park area include, among others: otter (Lutra lutra), weasel (Martes foina), Badger (Meles meles), fox (Vulpes vulpes), wild cat (Felis silvestris), (Herpestes ichneumon) wild boar (Sus scrofa), hedgehog (Erinaceus europaeus), Iberian lynx (Lynx pardinus), genet (Genetta Genetta).
The weasels, foxes (also called dollies), badgers and the Egyptian mongoose (or escalavardos) are found in dune areas and cliffs.Badgers dig burrows in the cliffs. This area is unique in Portugal, and the last in Europe, where there are otters in the marine habitat.
The caves, like the grotto of Monte Cleric and Yellow, are important refuges for bat communities (Chiroptera).

Several species of amphibians breed in temporary ponds.
Among others are the toad (Bufo bufo), the toad-in-black-nail (Pelobates cultripes) and toad-in-warts-green (Pelodytes punctatus).

These wetlands are also crustaceans such as Triops cancriformis mauritanicus and other endemic Iberian.

Among the reptiles are, for example, the snake-ratter (Malpolon monspessulanus) and snake-smooth Bordeaux (Gironde Coronella).

And watercourses, swamps and marshes are freshwater fish that are endemic to Portugal as the barb-to-south (Barbus sclateri) and boga Portuguese (Chondrostoma lusitanicum) and also a local endemism, the climb-the-Mira (Leuciscus sp ..)

Thursday, November 25, 2010

Visit Vila do Bispo

Vila do Bispo is a Portuguese town in the district of Faro, the Algarve region and subregion, with about 956 inhabitants (2001).
It is the seat of a municipality with 178.99 km ² and 5,349 inhabitants (2001), divided into 5 districts. The municipality is bordered to the north by the municipality of Aljezur, Lagos to the northeast and south and west coast is the Atlantic Ocean. The coastline of the city from the coast west to the east beach of Burgau, is part of the Natural Park of Southwest Alentejo and Costa Vicentina.
The parishes of Vila do Bispo are: Barao de Sao Miguel, Budens, Raposeira, Sagres, Vila do Bispo
With 60% of their area included in the Natural Park of Southwest Alentejo and Costa Vicentina in the municipality of Vila do Bispo is one of the few places in the Algarve region where wild nature, combined with a rich cultural heritage, remains intact.
Finding more on the extreme western region, with unique conditions and rare beauties that invite an extended visit, presents two distinct realities: the west coast - just cut, and where small streams flow into sweet - and the southern coast, more cut as a result of erosion, offering a magnificent view of coves and bays. Since its people, its very varied cuisine and idyllic beaches, Vila do Bispo provides the practice of several types of tourism and sports, providing a healthy and harmonious contact with nature in the true sense of the word.Sun, sea and a vast cultural heritage make up, so the perfect combination for those who want to feel the mysticism of the past
and the dynamics of this. For all these reasons and many more that will surely find out, Vila do Bispo invites ...

Festivals, Fairs and Pilgrimages
Jan. 22 - Day of St. Vincent
March 24 - Festival in honor of Our Lady of the Incarnation in Raposeira
February 10 and July 11 - Festival in honor of Our Lady of Perpetual Help Padoeira Burgau
Day 7 and 8 August - Feast in honor of Our Lady of Navigators - Patroness of Praia da Salema
13, 14 and 15 August - Feast of Baron S. Miguel
Day 14 and 15 August - Feast of Sagres - Festivities in honor of Our Lady of Grace - Patroness of Sagres
2 nd week-end - Annual Fair and Popular Party in Raposeira
December 8 - Feast in honor of Our Lady of Conception - Church of Vila do Bispo

In the Town of Sagres:
Cape Sagres
Cape St Vincent
Chapel of Our Lady of Grace
Statue of Prince Henry
Farol de Sagres
Lighthouse at Cape St Vincent
Fortaleza de Sagres
Fortress of Bunk
Fort Whaling
Islanders Martinhal
Port of Whaling
Mareta Beach
Tip Beach Blondie
Praia do Barranco
Beach Bunk
Beach Martinhal
Beach Awning
Praia do Tonel

In the Parish of Vila do Bispo:
Viewpoint of Cordoama
Monument "Barn Algrave"
Monument Man in the Sea "
Square Tanegashima
Praia da Barriga
Beach Cordoama
Beach Murração
Castelejo Beach


The cuisine featuring the Vila do Bispo, based on what the sea has to offer, as this is predominantly a fishing area.
Its diet consists mainly of a variety of fresh fish, cooked in various ways, grilled, baked, boiled or fried seafood, which is eaten cooked and shellfish that are open on the plate. However, the hunting season which normally begins in October and ends in December, it is common to cook dishes of wild boar, partridge, quail, hare or rabbit.
For dessert we use the fig and almond with abundance, and the dough with sugar plus other ingredients, such as the bacon.

Some dishes in the county:
Carapaus alimos
Stew with cuttlefish
Grand seafood
Squid floods
Mass of fish
Popes xarém

Sweet Potato Cakes
Glories of Vila do Bispo
Morgado de Figo
Queijo de Figo

Brandy Medronho

Where to Stay:
The House of Limon
Almaverde Village & SPA
Apartments Atalaia
Casa Azul Sagres
Oak House
The House of Cactus
House of the Well
Casa Jesus
Rock House
Casa Sousa
Baptist Homes
Holiday Mimosa
Establishment of Holidays "Monte Loureiro"
Mareta Beach Boutique Bed & Breakfast
Mareta View Boutique Bed & Breakfast
Quinta das Figueiras
Sagres Natura
Village Pedralva-Tourism Village
Apartamentos Turisticos Pontalaia
Four Winds Holiday Apartments
Don Tenorio Aparthotel
Hotel Martinhal
Memmo Whaling Hotel
Pousada do Infante

Sunday, November 21, 2010

Visit the Church of St. Bartholomew - Vila Viçosa

St. Bartholomew's Church, located in the Parish of St. Bartholomew (Vila Viçosa), is a sixteenth century church, also known as the Church of St. John the Evangelist. This church membership outside of the Jesuit College.
Bears on its facade a certain grandeur in the Baroque style, lined with marble bardilho the region, with three rows of windows and three doorways flanked by Doric columns. It has two square towers lush without gables, steeples and six bells which includes the famous clock Caracena who served the public of the Keep of the Castle and the Wars of Restoration was heavily damaged by the troops of the Spanish general of that name.
Inside the temple, and plenty of good marble carving is notable that the tabernacle of gilded wood and can enjoy themselves also upholstered and wooden sculptures several screens of seventeenth and eighteenth centuries.
In the sacristy attached, which left the more valuable items to the Museum of Sacred Art, there are also various tools of the cult, which were significant, and a nasty paramenteiro fine chest of oak.

Visit the Church of Mercy - Saint Bartholomew (Vila Viçosa)

The Church of Mercy, located in the Parish of St. Bartholomew (Vila Viçosa) from the merger of two institutes of charity: the hostel of the Holy Spirit whose origin dates back to the fifteenth century and the Brotherhood of Mercy, recently founded by Duke D. Jaime, now in the early sixteenth century.

Visit the Convent and Church of Santa Cruz - St. Bartholomew (Vila Viçosa)

The Convent of Santa Cruz de Vila Viçosa, located in the Parish of St. Bartholomew's convent of the Order of Hermits of St. Augustine, was founded about the year 1525.
Currently the church is private property and public monastic structure.

Visit the Church of Saint Anthony - Saint Bartholomew (Évora)

Visit the Statue of Florbela Espanca - Saint Bartholomew (Évora)

The Statue of Florbela Espanca, located in the Parish of St. Bartholomew (Vila Viçosa), is a tribute to poet Portuguese, named after Bela Alma Flor da Conceição and born in Vila Viçosa to December 8, 1894. The life of thirty-six years was tumultuous, restless and full of intimate suffering that the author was able to transform into poetry of the highest quality, full of eroticism and femininity. He was immortalized musically his poem "Poet Be" by the song "Hopelessly" of Trovante. Florbela Espanca committed suicide on the day of his 36th birthday in Matosinhos, December 8, 1930.

Visit the Statue of Bento Jesus Caraça - Saint Bartholomew (Évora)

The Statue of Bento de Jesus Caraça is a tribute to the Portuguese mathematician, tough anti-fascist and Communist Party stalwart Portuguese born in Vila Viçosa to April 18, 1901 who died in Lisbon on June 25, 1948.
Bento Jesus Caraça graduated in 1923, the Institute of Economics and Finance (now ISEG).
In 1936 he founded the Center for Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry along with other recent doctorates in mathematics and physics.
In 1938, with teachers and Beirão Mira Fernandes da Veiga, founded the Center for Studies in Applied Mathematics to Economics, which he headed until October 1946, the year of its termination by the Government.
In 1940, with professors António Monteiro, Hugo Ribeiro, Jose Manuel da Silva and Paulo Zaluar created the Mathematical Gazette
In 1941 creates the "Biblioteca Cosmos, editing books, scientific and cultural, which published 114 books, with a circulation of 793,500 copies overall.
In 1946 he was arrested by the PIDE, and in October of that year, resigned the post of professor at the Technical University of Lisbon.
Also involved in technical journals, Mathematical Gazette, Seara Nova, Apex and Economy Magazine.
In 1943 he became president of the Portuguese Society of Mathematics.

Friday, November 19, 2010

Visit the Palace of Matos Azambuja - Nossa Senhora da Conceição (Vila Viçosa)

The Palace of Matos Azambuja or house of the Arches, as is commonly known, is a noble building situated in the Parish of Our Lady of Conception of Vila Viçosa County.
It is located near the palace, the convent of the Augustinian Convent of Chagas where the Pousada D. John IV, the Shrine of Our Lady of Conception of Vila Viçosa, and do Castelo Vila Viçosa.
It was built in 1599 by nobles who were possibly related to the House of Braganza, as indicated by its proximity to the Ducal Palace.

Visit the Ducal Palace of Vila Viçosa - Our Lady of Conception

The Ducal Palace of Vila Viçosa, located in the Parish of Our Lady of Conception, is an important monument situated in the Palace Square of the Alentejo town of the district of Evora. Was for centuries the seat of the most serene house of Braganza, an important noble family founded in the fifteenth century, which became the ruling house in Portugal, while on December 1, 1640 the 8th Duke of Braganza was proclaimed King of Portugal (João IV).
The work, led by Jaime, started in 1501 and this time the cloister and the chapel area and the existing rooms of the Armory.
The 5th Duke, D., Theodosius I named Constable of the kingdom, sent in 1535 to expand the Palace for the lavish feasts of the royal marriage in 1537, the Duke built the imposing facade of the palace, clad in marble, Italian style, which today we can admire.
The Palace has a large collection of works of art (paintings, furniture, sculpture, etc. ..), and particularly the noble halls of the first floor, examples of which are the rooms of the Medusa, the Dukes (with pictures of all the dukes up the eighteenth century) on the ceiling) and Hercules, many of them ennobled with beautiful fireplaces of carved marble. Remain particularly vivid in the memory palace of the last two reigns (the result of special predilection that he had the sovereign), as can be seen in the royal chambers and countless examples of the artistic work of King Carlos (watercolor and pastel). The kitchen has one of the largest collections of batteries, kitchen copper. Also important to highlight the Library (with copies very precious) and the armory. The former stables is installed one section of the National Coach Museum, where among other coaches, you can admire the landau carrying the Royal Family on the regicide.

Visit the Museum of Marble - Nossa Senhora da Conceição (Vila Viçosa)

The Marble Museum, located in the Parish of Our Lady of Conception, is housed in the station's railways, railway, a building dating from 1904. Building secular highlight the beautiful tile panels that evoke landscapes and corners of urban Alentejo Vila Viçosa, providing a unique beauty to the building.
The Marble Museum offers visitors valuable information about past and present of an activity dating back to Roman times. The extraction processing of marble, through the presentation of objects and tools used.
The visit starts in Ruivina room, a space where different elements are presented related to natural stone. There, through various information panels, visitors will learn the entire process of formation of the rock.
There are also various objects and tools used in quarries and processing units, which offer the possibility of meeting spot, the technological evolution that has marked activity over time (White Room).
In another phase of the visit are revealed as samples of the marble polished and ready for marketing as well as different parts worked by skilled hands of men. The art of sculpting stone also talk when referring to works of art created in the Sculpture Symposium held in Vila Viçosa, exposed on the outside of the museum.
In the final phase of this journey, the visitor is invited to watch the video "Vila Viçosa ... town of Marble, "produced by the Department of Geosciences, University of Evora. A job that allows you to consolidate the knowledge acquired throughout the visit and that tells multiple aspects of local culture.

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Visit the Church of Nossa Senhora da Lapa - Nossa Senhora da Conceição (Vila Viçosa)

Visit the Church of the Augustins - Nossa Senhora da Conceição (Vila Viçosa)

Augustin Church, located in the parish of Nossa Senhora da Conceição (Vila Viçosa) was founded in the thirteenth century, was rebuilt in the seventeenth century. It is a beautiful baroque facade a little heavy but impressive, flanked by two soaring bell towers.
This Church is classified as a National Monument.

Visit the Church of Nossa Senhora da Conceição - Nossa Senhora da Conceição (Vila Viçosa)

The church of Our Lady of Conception, located in the parish of Nossa Senhora da Conceição (Vila Viçosa), is a Renaissance work, with three naves and five spans, which preserves the Gothic statue of Our Lady of Conception, patron saint of Portugal, D.Crowned John IV in 1646 as Queen

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Visit the Statue of public Hortensia Castro - Nossa Senhora da Conceição (Vila Viçosa)

The Statue of public Hortense de Castro, located in the Parish of Our Lady of Conception, is a tribute to Évora Évora 1548 1595 was one of the most notable and notorious figures of Portuguese humanism born in Vila Viçosa and in 1548 and died in 1595 in Evora .

Visit Cruise Vila Viçosa - Our Lady of Conception

Visit the Convent of Chagas de Cristo - Nossa Senhora da Conceição (Vila Viçosa)

The Convent of the Stigmata of Christ, located in the Parish of Our Lady of Conception, a religious house was founded in 1514 by D. Jaime, 4. Duke of Braganza.
Later, the monastery was handed over to the nuns of the female order of Santa Clara.
The patronage of the monastery remained in the House of Braganza to the nineteenth century, when it was annexed by the National Treasury. Later, King Carlos would come back to buy it for the House of Braganza. In 1932, the exiled Don Manuel II gave the monastery to the Archbishop of Evora. Its facilities were used for various purposes and are currently undergoing major restoration and reintegration.
The main portal of the church is located on the side wall, a space that takes the greatest architectural role. Various factors and uneven forming its structure. The site reveals a language consisting of Renaissance pilasters flanking a round arch, marked by a pediment highlighted the corners and medallions anthropomorphic. Laterally it must be a rectangular picture window. On the opposite side, the body of the choir and nave is marked by two monumental arches dividing buttress blind. Contiguous stands the tower's four bells, surmounted by vertical hexagonal spire and marked by four pinnacles.
The craft, unique and wide, has an ogival ribbed vaults coverage and artisans, are joining in the art Manueline and revealing a colorful decoration emblematic of classicist Franciscan phytomorphic surrounded by grounds, and small zoomorphic heads of angels. The walls are covered with tiles to the seventeenth century, enhancing the beauty of paintings telling the story of the life of S. Francis of Assisi. Within the nave there are four gilded altars, the two side-seventeenth century, while the other side are the work of the eighteenth century baroque and are framed by ashlars tiles.
The triumphal arch of the chancel is framed with classical motifs in white marble, with coverage of the headboard made by Manueline polinervurada vault. In the nineteenth century, the walls and ceiling of the chancel received neoclassical paintings. The altarpiece is gilded seventeenth century, featuring a screen with the episode of "Incredulity of St. Thomas, in addition to a triangular shrine with a relief of the" Resurrection of Christ. "
The most amazing architectural details of the monastery are revealed in two choirs. The Chapel of St. John the Baptist - showing her beautiful sixteenth-century altarpiece of "St. John on Patmos" and good notes of tiles and frescoes on the vault - connects to the sacristy and cloister, starting from this courtyard access to the amazing chorus down - the pantheon of the most distinguished ladies of the Order of Poor Clares and the House of Braganza, under which lies the crypt of Abbesses. This work is lower choir of the seventeenth century and has vaulted Manueline edge, supported by the central column, the decoration rocaille altered structure of the second half of the eighteenth century.
Access to the monumental choir is conducted by a lavishly decorated antecoro. This wing of the convent is larger than the church, and is covered by a barrel vault with painted baroque motifs of the seventeenth century.
The cloister of the sixteenth century was reformulated in the following century. The claustra consists of two floors and each gallery is divided into five legs buttresses. The ground floor is populated by a double colonnade of round arches, while the upper floor is a rhythmic double rectangular openings separated by pilasters and marble. At the top of the cloister were built other facilities, while the inner space of the galleries has cloistered graves revealing small chapels, altars, murals and other decorations.
Today this monastery serves as the Inn.

Monday, November 15, 2010

Visit the Castle Vila Viçosa - Our Lady of Conception

The Castle of Vila Viçosa, who was once a Moorish stronghold, located in the Parish of Our Lady. In a place where there was a Moorish stronghold, D. Dinis built a mighty castle and a city wall around the whole village, then expanded by D. Fernando with two doors. In the seventeenth century, the castle was again strengthened with walls 4-5 meters, which helped stem the Spanish army.

Visit the Chapel of St. John the Baptist's Carrasqueira - Nossa Senhora da Conceição (Vila Viçosa)

The Chapel of St. John the Baptist's Carrasqueira, located in the parish of Nossa Senhora da Conceição (Vila Viçosa) is also called the 'Chapel of St. John the Baptist's Carrasqueira'

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Visit Vila Viçosa

Vila Viçosa is a Portuguese town, located in the District of Évora, Alentejo Central Alentejo region and subregion, with 5400 inhabitants.
It is the seat of a municipality with 194.62 km ² and 8,871 inhabitants (2001), divided into five districts. The municipality is bordered to the north and east by the city of Elvas, Estremoz the south, west and northwest by the Redondo Borba.
Vila Viçosa remained the Dukes of Bragança for several centuries until the proclamation of the Republic and its properties and magnificent Ducal Palace of Vila Viçosa.

The parishes of Vila Viçosa are: Bencatel, Pitfalls, Conceição (Vila Viçosa), Sparrows, St. Bartholomew (Vila Viçosa)

Brief Historical Summary
Vila Viçosa was occupied by the Romans and Muslims until conquered in 1217 during the reign of King Alfonso II. D. Sancho II, in 1270 received a charter of King Afonso III seeing his name changed to Valley Lush Vila Viçosa. In the fourteenth century, D. Dinis erected the Castle of Vila Viçosa.

Crisis of 1383-1385, the chief commander of the Order of Avis, Vasco Porcalho, betrayed and, taking advantage of Castile, took possession of Évora with its two hundred and fifty men and two hundred Spaniards, forcing the population to flee to Borba. A year and some months later, in the stampede that followed the battle of Aljubarrota Porcalho Vasco and his host left the village or whether the castle.

Vila Vicosa in 1461 became part of the Duchy of Braganza. In 1500, James I of Braganza was invited to return to court by D. Manuel I was restored to him the titles and the lands of the duchy.

In 1502 with the start of construction of the Ducal Palace of Vila Viçosa, Évora became the headquarters of the Duchy of Braganza. In 1512, Vila Viçosa receives its charter by King Manuel I.

During the Philippine area, Vila Viçosa, was home to the largest ducal court of the Iberian Peninsula. In 1640, a group of conspirators convinced then John II, Duke of Braganza to accept the throne of Portugal, becoming the December 1, 1640, D. John IV (1640-1656) ushering in the House of Bragança.

From this date, Vila Viçosa, lost glow and became the royal residence of vacation. In 1646, John IV of Portugal offered the crown of Portugal, the Nossa Senhora da Conceição in gratitude for the good of the Restoration War campaign, becoming Our Lady of Conception, Patroness and Queen of Portugal. From this date, no more King of Portugal wore the crown.

Vila Viçosa was severely shaken by the earthquake of 1755. In the early nineteenth century, Vila Viçosa was looted during the Napoleonic wars.

In the 1930s, the exploitation of marble (Estremoz marble) and opening of the Ducal Palace of Vila Viçosa to tourism, Vila Viçosa began to change until the present day. Today, as with many towns of the Alentejo, its population is decreasing, which is the principal factor causing emigration to other regions in Portugal or abroad.

The economy of Vila Viçosa industry is primarily based on extraction and processing of marble. The marble of Évora is recognized worldwide, and Évora is known nationally as the Marble Capital. The second most important economic sector of the county is tourism, Vila Viçosa receiving annually about one hundred thousand tourists. The cattle-breeding is still an important source of revenue for the county.

What to Visit

In the Town of Pitfalls
Fort Conde
Roman Bridge
Ribeira da Asseca

In the Town of Conception (Vila Viçosa)
Chapel of St. John the Baptist Carrasqueira
Castelo de Vila Viçosa
Convento das Chagas de Cristo
Cruise Vila Viçosa
Statue of Publi Hortensia Castro
Church of Nossa Senhora da Conceição
Augustin Church
Church of Nossa Senhora da Lapa
Marble Museum
Ducal Palace of Vila Viçosa
Palace of Matos Azambuja

In the Town of Sparrows
Church of Saint Catherine

In the Parish of St. Bartholomew (Vila Viçosa)
Statue of Bento Jesus Caraça
Statue Florbela Espanca
St. Anthony's Church
Church and Convent of Santa Cruz
Church of Mercy
St. Bartholomew Church


Soup Ladle
Tomato soup
Potato Soup
Soup Cachola
Soup Beldroegas
Soup Dogfish
Onion soup
Golden Soup

Cooked to Alentejo
Lamb Stew
Feet of coriander

Rice pudding
Cake Finto

Where to eat ...
Vila Viçosa
The Tasquinha Ze
Grill Brothers Broa
Restaurant D. Carlos
Restaurant D. John IV
The Palace Restaurant
Restaurant Florbela Espanca
The Corner Seafood Paradise
The Restaurant Oven
Frame Restaurant
Paradise Restaurant
The restaurant Pipo
The Regional Restaurant
Restaurant The Restaurant
The Cuckoo Restaurant
White Gold Restaurant
Restaurant Peixinhos
The pizzeria Canga
The Ducal Palace Pizzeria
The Tasca Necas
Tavern of the conspirators

In Bencatel
Cafe Central
Hunters' Breakfast
A Stop Pizzeria

In Romà Blessed
The restaurant Carreiro

Where to Stay
Hostels D. Carlos
Pousada D. John IV
Quinta do Alfaval
Solar Dos Mascarenhas
Herdade da Ribeira de Borba

Sunday, November 7, 2010

Visit the Convent of St. Anthony of Alva - Vila Cova de Alva

The Convent of St. Anthony of Alva, located in the Town of Vila Cova de Alva, is now private property.
This monastery has its highest elevation in the cloister of the eighteenth century, divided into two distinct parts: the Church, which has in its interior altarpieces national style, an organ with Rococo elements, among other points of interest, and the convent building, much changed, but where one can still observe the remains of the Chapter Room, the Dining Hall, the dormitory and the Cloister of five bays and small dimensions, whose ground floor is still intact. This consists of the Tuscan order columns that are based on a wall.
The first stone of the convent was launched on September 21, 1713. The arrival of the religious case, however, a year earlier, on March 19, 1712, in order to construct the building. This will have been completed on 24 February 1723, when it is translated from the Blessed Sacrament, accompanied by the religious, to the convent. The reason will be built this monastery in Vila Cova de Alva is still unexplained, although they suggest some conditions that have contributed to this building: the proximity of two other religious communities in Folques (with the Crosier Monastery) andLittle town of Beira (with the Franciscan Convent), the existence of a religious life more or less intense, the weather and water, among others.

Visit the Roman Bridge Vila Cova de Alva

Visit Pelourinho Vila Cova de Alva

Pelourinho de Vila Cova de Alva, is constructed in granite Manueline.
Pelourinho is the octagonal shaft, topped by needle square ornamented.

Visit the Church of Mercy - Vila Cova de Alva

The Church of Mercy, located in the Town of Vila Cova de Alva, have been built in the eighteenth century. Unfortunately her condition deteriorated led even the total destruction of the interior.
The façade baroque, eighteenth century, shows two areas, one rectangular, the portal that frames with pilasters flanked by fins.The pediment is interrupted by a door quadrilobado.
The gable, as the pediment is interrupted by a niche that still boasts a sculpture of the Virgin and Child, dating from the XV-XVI century.

Visit the Church of Vila Cova de Alva

The Church of Vila Cova de Alva have been built in the early eighteenth century, as evidenced by an inscription on its facade with the date 1712.
The portal of this church is going and is accompanied by rectangular pilasters with top finial-shaped niche. It has four windows with pedimented gable and the line has to be cut by the pedestal of the cross. It has a Chancel and two other chapels cut into the body. Their altars are from the first half of the eighteenth century, the national style. Its patron saint Our Lady of the Nativity.
The reconstruction, which occurred in 1952, led to changes in the church tower, stripping it of the balcony which stood at the top, in harmony with the architectural ensemble consisting of the churchyard, and building the spire which we see today.

Visit the Soul of Vila Cova de Alva

Friday, November 5, 2010