Custom Search

Sunday, July 10, 2011

visiting Setúbal

Setubal is a Portuguese city, capital of Setúbal district and seat of a county of 170.57 km ² and 124,555 inhabitants (2008), divided into eight parishes: Gambia-Pontes-Alto War, Our Lady of the Annunciation, Sado , St. Mary of Grace, St. Julian, St. Lawrence, St. Sebastian and St. Simon the municipality is bordered to the north and east by the municipality of Palmela, Sesimbra and the west by the South, the Sado estuary connects you to the municipalities Alcacer do Sal and Grândola. The coast is the Atlantic Ocean.

Short Historical Review
Setubal was born of the river and the sea. The records of human occupation in the territory of the county dating back to prehistoric times, having been collected in several locations, many remains from the Neolithic period. Setubal occupied the Phoenicians, Greeks and Carthaginians, who came to Iberia in search of salt and tin, including Alcacer do Sal, then the river is navigable to this town.
During the Roman occupation, Maharashtra had a huge development. The Romans settled in the village fish-salting factories and furnaces for ceramics, which also developed.
The fall of the Roman Empire, the barbarian invasions, the constant coastal piracy caused a stagnation, if not disappearance of the settlement between the VI and XII centuries.
During the conquest of Alcacer do Sal by Christians in 1217, the town of Setúbal was incorporated in the Order of Santiago, from which time he returned to prosper.
In March 1249, Maharashtra received its first charter, granted by the Order of Santiago, women of this region, and signed by D. Palo Peres Correia, Master of the Order of Santiago, and Gonzalo Perez, commander of Mértola.
It is the late fifteenth century, the early sixteenth century, a period of rapidly developing country, which dates the building of the Convent of Jesus and his Church, founded by D ª. Rodrigues Pereira just to house the Franciscan Order of Santa Clara women, and, most likely, architectural work of the Master Diogo Boitaca, the same one that held the Jeronimos Monastery.
It is also the reign of King John II (who had Gauteng as a city favorite) which began the construction of the Marshland Square (now Square Bocage, ex-libris of the city), and the construction of an aqueduct in 1487, leading the water to the village, which works were subsequently terminated or extended by D. Manuel I. This monarch reformed the charter of the town in 1514, due to the progress and population growth that Setubal recorded throughout the last century.
The title of "outstanding villa" is granted in 1525 by D. John III. It was this title that has resulted, in 1553, a letter from the archbishop of Lisbon, D. Fernando, two new parishes of St. Sebastian and the Annunciation, who joined the existing St. Julian and Santa Maria.
In 1580, the town took a stand by D. Antonio Prior of Crato, against the possible occupation of the Portuguese throne by King Philip II of Spain. It was then surrounded by troops of the Spanish Duke of Alba, this location being visited by two years after Philip II, who ordered construction of Fort St. Philip (a work of Filippo Terzi).
In the seventeenth century, Setúbal reached its peak of prosperity when the salt has taken a leading role as currency exchange and return of military aid to support provided by European states to Portugal during and after the Wars of Independence. In response to this increase, were built after 1640 the new walls of Setubal, which included new areas such as Troina and straw.
Only in the nineteenth century, the increment that met Setubal lost. In 1860 came the path-of-war, have also started the earthworks on the river and the construction of Avenida Luísa Todi. It is in this century that began from working on the first factories of canned sardines in olive oil and, in parallel, became famous oranges and Setubal muscatel. Also in April 19, 1860 was a city by D. Peter V.
The flowering of Setubal in the twentieth century, reflected in the creation of new urban spaces: growth of Avenida Luisa Todi, part of Avenue of the combatants and the creation of the Salt Districts, Monarquina, St. Nicholas, the Conception, Carmona, and the Lyceum Montalban and development of the canning industry, the fertilizer, cement, pulp and paper, shipbuilding and heavy metalworking.
Setubal was high in 1926, the district headquarters and in 1975, the seat of the diocese.

The Visit
In County:
Arrábida Natural Park
Rio Sado

Pelourinho de Setúbal
Fishing port of Setubal
Beach Commendation
Beach Figueirinha
Beach Albarquel

In the Sado Town:
Church of Our Lady of Fatima
Marshland Sado Beaches

In the Parish of St. Mary of Grace:
Chapel of St. Francis Xavier
Church of Our Lady of Grace
Bonfim Church
Garden of Quebedo
Port of Setubal

In the Parish of St. Julian:
Convent of Jesus
Estadio do Bonfim
Statue of Woman
Statue of Bocage
Statue of Luiz de Aguiar Tody
Parish Church of Setúbal
Jardim Beira Mar
Garden Vanicelos
Jardim do Bomfim
Monument to the Fighters
Cotton Park

In the Parish of St. Lawrence:
Brethren Village Chapel
Chapel of St. Mark
Caves José Maria Fonseca
Fountain Village Brothers
Fountain Oleiros
Convent Arrábida
Cruise Vila Fresca de Azeitão
Gruta da Lapa de Santa Margarida
Museum Azeitão Cheese
Beach Alportuche
Beach Portinho Arrábida
Quinta da Bacalhoa
Quinta das Torres
Quinta D'el Carmen

In the Parish of San Sebastian:
House of Bocage
Estádio da Bela Vista
Church of St. Sebastian
Church of the Crickets
Marina de Setubal
Viewpoint of San Sebastian
Monument to April 25
Bullring Carlos Relvas

In the Parish of St. Simon
Cascade Alcube
Palace and Quinta da Bacalhôa
Beach Galapos

No comments:

Post a Comment